Wednesday, April 20, 2016

My obsession with That 70s Show

If you know me at all, you know that I watch That 70s Show pretty much every day. Usually at least two episodes a day. I wouldn't say I love the show, but I'm definitely obsessed with it.

I've come up with several possible reasons for my obsession. First, the music. I never really liked 70s music before this show, but both extra-diegetically and within the story, the music is incredibly effective and upbeat. Second, it's funny. I rarely actively laugh at it anymore, but nothing is too terribly serious (I pretend the eighth season doesn't exist). Third, I have a LOT to say about it.

I keep lamenting that I found this show so late that I can't join a cultural discourse about it. I keep wanting to criticize it or present a scholarly analysis, but there's no audience. But last week I realized I don't need an audience. I have my blog.

So I'm going to talk about That 70s Show for a little while. I have lots of little gripes, but my major intervention concerns its anti-feminism. That will be the subject of my next post.



No comments:

Post a Comment